Gympass has been included in Comparably’s list of Best Companies for Career Growth in 2022 for cases such as Éverton Braz’s career story. Éverton has been working at Gympass for almost 9 years. He started as an intern and now holds the position of director.
Éverton Braz has been part of many different teams and held numerous roles throughout his career story at Gympass. We couldn’t have found a better example when we say that this company offers many opportunities for professional growth.
His beginnings at Gympass
When did you start?
“While in university, in 2014, I met Sidnei Pereira. He was working at Gympass and invited me to work there. Gympass was focused on two of the things I like the most: physical activity and technology. So, I didn’t think twice.”
What was your professional background before joining?
“I consider Gympass my first real job in the systems development field. Before joining Gympass, I had a brief internship with another company and worked for my father at his building supply store.”
What was your first role at Gympass?
“I was hired by Gympass as an intern in web development. My main responsibility was to develop small features for the Gympass website and fix bugs in both the back and front end. However, I used to do some other things like setting up the VoIP software and hardware, helping fix some network issues, fixing employees’ computers, and setting up client emails.”
Career story at Gympass
Éverton Braz started at Gympass as an intern and after a year and a half was hired as a software engineer. In 2017, he had his first opportunity to lead a project, which was to build features to allow end users to pause their subscriptions. It was in this role that he first had the chance to lead a team.
Managing people was his first big challenge because he became responsible for overseeing the work of others. This included taking care of people, being willing to help them with whatever they need, and making them feel comfortable performing at their best, as well as ensuring high quality in the systems they develop.
After some months, Éverton was officially promoted to a tech lead role and later, in 2018, his focus changed as he became responsible for the services developed to internal areas like CX, operations, finance, etc, which included end users set, enterprise clients setup, billing and payout services. Then the team started growing a lot and as a consequence they splitted in two teams: Gympasser Experience and Billing/Payout.
At that time, in 2019, he became responsible for the Billing/Payout, and later on they splitted into two teams again, but he kept with the Billing in 2020. Then the billing teams were also splitted in three teams and he was leading two of them: Enterprise and Subscriber Billing teams, and helping the third one’s tech lead.
In 2021, he was promoted to the software engineering director role and now he is responsible for the billing team and also a new team created to support the legacy system they have and help migrate stuff to the new ecosystem.
So nowadays Éverton helps in planning, refinements, system designs, code reviews, pair programming, product meetings. troubleshootings and also writing code when necessary as well as managing people in the team, doing 1:1s, giving feedback and helping them grow as professionals.
We support Gympassers in achieving their professional and personal goals by encouraging transparent communication with line managers, promoting regular team training, providing access to online learning libraries, and encouraging and prioritizing internal applications.
Some of the achievements he is proud of during his career story at Gympass are:
- Became a leader.
- To build a whole new payment system out of the legacy system.
- Helping Gympass systems get internationalized.
- Doing some developments and giving support to the voip system which was something he had absolutely no study for but he studied a lot, tried a lot and managed to help it work as expected.
- Leading about 3 teams in the initial system design, planning and development to build a whole new billing and payments ecosystem of microservices out of their legacy system.
- A lot of people want to hear his opinions in different subjects because of his experience in the company and he feels very useful and productive helping them. He feels very proud of managing to have built such a good reputation due to all his commitment with the company and the people.
Skills and abilities developed at Gympass
- Being a leader and managing to guide people towards their objectives.
- Be patient with people and understand what they need, to see what they do best and praise as well as see things that they can improve and guide them to do so.
- To be resilient and work under pressure.
- Improve his technical skills on both coding and system design.
- Improve his English skills by being able to participate in many meetings during all his career at Gympass.
- Improve his skills to talk with different audiences like global leaders.